3 tips for hiring a high-quality exterior painter
Painting the outside of your home is a big job, so you're probably wondering how to hire a high-quality exterior painter. A great painter can make the difference between having the job go off without a hitch and being thoroughly unsatisfied with the end result. Here are some tips for hiring an exterior paint contractor.
1. See their handiwork in person
As you interview prospective painters, ask to see examples of past work. If the painter provides you with pictures, ask for addresses so you can observe the work in person. Actually going out to see a completed paint job in person will tell you a lot more about the painter than a set of photos.
When you inspect the work, look for the following:
- Are there any splatters on the windows?
- Are there visible brush strokes or sloppy lines?
- Is there any bubbling, cracking or peeling of the paint?
2. Talk to previous customers
While you're inspecting a paint job, actually talk to the people who hired your contractor. They're likely to give you a candid assessment of the contractor's work.
Here are some questions to ask:
- Did the contractor stick to budget?
- Were there a lot of change orders?
- Was the job completed on time?
- Were there any paint spills?
- Would they hire this contractor again?
3. Verify licensing and insurance
If your state requires a license to paint homes, verify your painter's license and confirm that it's up to date. You also need to inquire about insurance. Otherwise, you could be held responsible for any injury that occurs on your property.
For more information, please visit the Angie's List Guide to Exterior Painting.