10 must-haves for home improvement contracts
Here’s what Angie’s List recommends should be included in home improvement contracts:
1. Detailed job description specifying contractor and homeowner responsibilities.
2. Start and completion dates.
3. Detailed outline of costs and total cost.
4. Terms that tie payments to job progress and completion.
5. Payment penalties for missed completion dates.
6. Procedure for work orders or changes to initial agreement.
7. Itemized materials list and any warranty information.
8. Proof that the contractor holds the appropriate licensing (if applicable), insurance and bonding.
9. Information on whether the contractor plans to use subcontractors, and who will supervise them.
10. Termination clause that describes certain conditions by which the homeowner or contractor may leave the job without penalty.