Some people may get tattooed on impulse, but to reduce health risks, as well as the chance of next-day remorse, take your time. Remember that not all ink shops are equal. Follow these tips to reduce risks and complications:
- Ask friends for recommendations. Consider how Angie's List can help. Members can access local consumer reviews on tattoos and piercings as well as more than 550 other service categories.
- Visit several shops. Observe the general cleanliness. Ask if the tattoo artist is certified, uses sterile equipment and wears gloves while working.
- Observe the artists. Make sure they use needles that come directly from the package.
- Take the time to review the artists' portfolios.
- Avoid asking your chosen artist to go outside her or his comfort zone.
- If you have allergies, ask the tattoo artist about dye ingredients.