Access to trusted reviews, the best Basement Remodeling Companies and exclusive discounts!
- Memberships allow Angie’s List to certify that all reviews are real reviews from real members—no fake, bogus, or anonymous reviews here!
- Angie’s List is a Community that you’ll use time after time. Research who to hire, learn tips and tricks, and consult with your neighbors
- Members can choose from tons of deals and discounts for projects they need to do, like 30% off exterior home painting!
- If a project goes badly, Angie’s List has a complaint resolution team standing by to help you.
Washington Basement Remodeling Articles
Angie's List In The Press
Washington Basement Remodeling Companies Reviews
with us and was expertly done. The recessed lighting and other electrical work was well
planned and executed.
The construction model for the kitchen was carried into the adjacent laundry/utility room (lighting, flooring, etc.) and a pocket door that had been partially installed between the two areas was completed and serves as a visual and sound
The top landing for the spiral staircase is impressive, blending into the wood floor at that level, and some minor flaws in the initial (partial) installation of the staircase by another contractor were well managed.
Smaller, but equally professional work was done in the installation of a new bedroom ceiling fan, completion of shelving in 2 rooms, and needed work on the ceiling and crown molding in the bathroom.
An assessment of the overall electrical service needs for the total project determined the need for a much higher-capacity service box, which was installed.
All around, the work was thorough and done as if it were their own house.
Overall, I have nothing but great things to say. His prices are reasonable. His work is great. He listens and shows up and gives perfect advice. For instance, I had a few contractors bid on a kitchen job in my new house.
I would absolutely work with "
The project itself was a complete remodel of the basement in our 100 year old row house.
The PHS team turned our completely unfinished cave in a wonderful living space. This work included:
- Framing out a great room, two closets (one under the stairs), an unfinished storage space and a bathroom. - Repair of cracks and craters in the concrete floor. - New stairs with a white risers and dark finished treads. - Moving of gas lines so they did not pass through the finished space. - Some repair on the existing duct work, as well as incorporation of duct system into the basement design. - Soffits around the hanging duct work and plumbing lines running along the ceiling. - Pointing up of a brick wall to prepare for priming and paining. - Construction of a custom built-in shelving unit built to our specifications. - new electric and recessed lighting throughout. - Drywall, trim, new doors, painting and carpet installation. - New tile floors in the laundry area and bathroom. - Installation of new tub, vanity, shower tile, toilet and all bathroom fixtures. From start to finish the PHS team was great with all aspects of the project. There was never a time where i couldn't contact either
communicator. alone, a whole house renovation. He worked with me, my Assistant and my Design Consultant - and never seemed frustrated (by working with a committee of 3 women)!
While the project was estimated to take 60 days, I was prepared for it to go 90 days.
At one point, we asked for 'a break' to get a week off from the working, working, working. And PHS was great about
it. Ultimately, the
to be 'good to go' - PHS didn't make excuses - they met the deadline we needed them to meet.
PHS was there every day from early to late to get the job done. When District Inspectors didn't show or showed at the wrong time, the crew worked extra long hours to 'catch up' on the schedule. (We didn't know that work must cease until certain things 'passed inspection' - the crew just did workarounds and other smaller tasks and used the time very wisely.) This company's employees have a 'work ethic' rarely found in young, skilled workers nowadays. Polite, friendly, quiet, even tempered - just everything you'd want in folks who spend 5 months at your house every day.
Friends using other contractors, who have done far less (one bathroom remodel), were left for weeks with things unfinished,
job site abandoned for long periods with no explanation and endless excuses and even worse attitudes. So when
I heard their stories, I had even more reasons to be happy with my choice.
Every request/question/concern was responded to with full disclosure. PHS is the most professional and transparent
business I've ever dealt with. The truth - good or bad - is their standard.
And we lived in the house through the whole thing! Only as the project was winding down did
didn't usually have owners living in the house for a project as extensive as ours. While noise and dust are part of remodeling - the PHS crew was diligent about hanging plastic around work areas to limit the dust outside the work area and EVERY DAY before they left the jobsite, one or more of the crew would vacuum, clean up as best they could and put tools and supplies in neat
piles so we could 'live in the space'.
Sure issues arose - we had 'people' in our house every week day (and some Saturdays) for 5 months. But the issues were addressed when we asked for a review meeting and changes were made as needed to accommodate our comfort level.
My sister, who has remodeled extensively over the years, - was so impressed with PHS, that she gave me high
such a great contractor my first time out!
All Basement Remodeling Companies in Washington, DC
Cabin John, MD
Front Royal, VA
Silver Spring, MD