Access to trusted reviews, the best Home Builders and exclusive discounts!
Real Member ReviewsMemberships allow Angie’s List to certify that all reviews are real reviews from real members—no fake, bogus, or anonymous reviews here!
DealsAngie’s List is a Community that you’ll use time after time. Research who to hire, learn tips and tricks, and consult with your neighbors
Instant Community AccessMembers can choose from tons of deals and discounts for projects they need to do, like 30% off exterior home painting!
Complaint ResolutionIf a project goes badly, Angie’s List has a complaint resolution team standing by to help you.
Alexandria Home Building Articles
Home Building reviews in Alexandria
1. Always get a detailed proposal with materials listed by brand/grade, measurements, specs, project to be finished BY DATE (not “in 4 weeks”). Set a penalty when work gone pass the deadline not due to acts of God. Stipulate you have the right to hire a 3rd party to finish his work at his cost when pass the deadline. Demand a credit or refund if you want to provide items/materials. Demand Mr.
2. Make sure the contract spells out if contractor makes a mistake/misarrangement he should pay for the cost of repair & within X days. All work must be inspected & ok by you before moving on to next.
3. Clearly spell out when to pay installments, i.e. 50% completion=complete framing & drywall, 85% completion=all tiles in…etc.
4. Take pictures of every stage. Pictures can be very helpful for disputes. Insist to communicate via email on important issues.
5. Obtain a list of his suppliers & subcontractor & get
It is a very stressful & frustrating experience doing business with Quest & its owner
asked him to put details, materials, measurements, & write down what I had told him in the contract he just said “no problem! I’ll make it beautiful!
Because fixtures, vanity, tiles... are not included in the price I bought all myself. But Mr.
Unfortunately, things went wrong the entire project. 4 wk project went to 8 & still not complete. Mr.
I found Mr.
My project is an addition from scratch. Mr.
Here is just a short list of my problems:
1. Not familiar with building codes & structures. Had to revise architectural drawing because his roof framing was wrong. Delays.
3. Going back on his words. Said he’ll do the work according to my specs but later said it costs him too much & took it upon his own to op for a cheaper alternative without consulting me. Wanting to charge me more on the shower glass last minute. I ended up finding my own glass installer for a better quality glass at a cheaper price.
4. Unreliable. Never finished a job on time.
5. Sent him links of the products prior to purchasing asking him to verify the items will work. He replied yes. When vanity, shower trim kit, valves arrived, I asked him again to check to make sure it’s the right products; Mr.
6. Poor workmanship, had to point out crooked tiles & made them correct it. Failed inspections 4x on the same work.
Failed inspection 6x so far (he said he didn’t fail, just not passed. ??!!). Also, how could a builder not know what a
rough-in valve is? He told me to buy the valve but doesn’t know what it’s called, described it as “the metal thing with things coming out in the back that hooks up to…” Then
7. Incompetent workers caused delays. Took them 2 days to install a vanity sink. The plumbing was set at the wrong height too. REAL slow work. More delays.
& plaster pouring down my bathroom drain. Paint stains on my sink & shower. Drains clogged, need a professional plumber to clear it. Trashed my house, yard.
12. Gave me a quote for an electrical job for $700. I found a Yelp electrician to finished the work for $160.
14. Doesn't know the inspection requirements. Doesn't know the county codes for the simplest things like recess lights need to be IC rated.
19. Lack of planning caused inability to acquire quality material. Mr.
23. Flooring cheated on materials, poor workmanship, laminate wood floor was unleveled on day 1. Refused to correct it & just kept installation. Did not use correct underlayment, no plastic moisture
My opinion based on my experience is that this business is dishonest with substandard performance. I feel this business is not female friendly because the way Mr. ”
Prior to selecting a contractor, we spend a year with an excellent architect working up detailed plans.
Once the project got underway, we worked closely with
As we moved into construction,
GCC's work can be measured in other ways as well. We had moved into a very small upper floor apartment during the construction and figured that our aging cat would do better living on our property. GCC rigged the internal heat so it would warm the house sufficiently for the cat. In another instance, there was a miscommunication about the number of window panels above a set of deck doors and three (vs five) were installed. GCC acknowledged the variance from the drawing and immediately started the process of replacing the panels.
We moved back into the house in February of 2013 (we started in late
We are delighted with our remodeled house and the quality of GCC's work. We would recommend them to anyone building from scratch or remodeling.
The next project was the complete teardown and renovation of the front-porch of our craftsman-style home in 2009. Everything was seamless from design to completion to inspection. We used Trex and PVC trim, the cost of which can add up quickly, but because
That same year, we hired
Finally, the biggest project was re-siding of our house in the fall of 2010. He helped us get the best deals on materials with no
In summary, ”
This man was a past president of the ”
The project was finished in less than 8 weeks from signing the contract to completion. All inspections were successful the first time, and the mess was kept to a minimum. The house cleaning was unexpected- we didn't realize it was part of the contract. The price was the lowest bid, and there were no overruns or problems with payments or prices.
We think we're the best, and we can prove it.
Try an annual plan and if you want to cancel in your first year, we'll refund you 110%
Annual Plans Only
All Home Builders in Alexandria, VA
Sterling (Dulles), VA
Fort Washington, MD
Mc Lean, VA
Join Angie's List to get the best local reviews in Alexandria.
- Instant access to reviews for 700+ services
- Exclusive service discounts - up to 70 percent off!
- Top-notch support from our live call center