Access to trusted reviews, the best Roofing Contractors and exclusive discounts!
- Memberships allow Angie’s List to certify that all reviews are real reviews from real members—no fake, bogus, or anonymous reviews here!
- Angie’s List is a Community that you’ll use time after time. Research who to hire, learn tips and tricks, and consult with your neighbors
- Members can choose from tons of deals and discounts for projects they need to do, like 30% off exterior home painting!
- If a project goes badly, Angie’s List has a complaint resolution team standing by to help you.
Sumter Roofing Articles
Angie's List In The Press
Sumter Roofing Contractors Reviews
For the most part, I was very satisfied with the work, but there were a few places in which the crew took some flashing out and didn't replace it. In the flashing's
The work was BEYOND LOUSY. Unbelievably bad--not just "a little bad." They tore up the old floor to put in new floor joists, and not only didn't use hangars, but the nails were all haphazardly put in--almost like they had been hand-nailed by a child. It was unbelievable. Some on top of each other. Others were far apart. NONE were flush. Like the little kid couldn't even hit the nail on the head or something. They were also ALL were sticking out at bizarre
But please note that they do NOT inspect for crappy nails and board that don't meet the wall, because they were too short, and all those other problems. Inspectors just inspect for code--not quality. This guy wasn't up to code (fortunately, since we were able to call him on breach of contract). But his work was still BAD, BAD, BAD. Beyond bad. If he'd just used the hangars and right sized joists, however, he'd have been "up to code," but still doing the worst job I've ever seen in my life (and I've seen a lot). So you can't always depend on an inspector to help you when these guys do poor work.
This past week, we discovered that
The roof was another disaster. His guys pulled the old one off and put the new one on in just a few hours (no kidding). They didn't replace the rotten boards. So we've got shingles covering rotten wood. There were HOLES in a bunch of places.We could see the shingles straight through them, from the attic. It looks as if the hammer may have gone straight through the rotted wood, when they were nailing on the shingles. As if all this wasn't enough (and, not surprisingly), the day after they put it on, it rained and there were two leaks. Big ones, too. Water streaming in. Inspector shut down that job, too. Thank goodness we called them in, otherwise they wouldn't have come out to inspect until later. No, there wasn't a permit, or one for less than $10,000 worth of work...so I guess they wouldn't have EVER come out.
His excuses, when confronted, were pretty incredible. He didn't replace the rotted fascia boards on the exterior of the house, which were specifically mentioned in the contract.
God KNOWS what else they did wrong, to tell you the truth. We won't know fully until we get everything torn out and new work done, which we unfortunately now have to do and have only just started. God only KNOWS what it will all cost. Meanwhile,
Other problems that we weren't aware of:
1. We couldn't find him under his name OR his business name OR his license number, when searching under the SC state licensing site (which is linked from the building permit office site). So he may not even be licensed at the present time (despite letterhead saying the contrary).
2. The other review on this site also gave him an F. I'm sure there would be more, but people have to pay to be a member of Angie's List (it was worth it to pay just to post this site, so others wouldn't go through the nightmare we're going through).
3. He's had a total of 7 complaints to the Better Business Bureau in the past couple of years--three of which are pending, with others unresolved.
4. We heard from other contractors that he has a reputation for being dishonest.
5. He's no doubt going to be fined and/or disciplined by the building permit office, for the fraud with our permit (sounded like it wasn't the first time, either).
There is nothing more to be said. The bottom line is, AVOID THIS MAN AND THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE.
All Roofing Contractors in Sumter, SC
West Columbia, SC