Access to trusted reviews, the best Carpenters and exclusive discounts!
Real Member ReviewsMemberships allow Angie’s List to certify that all reviews are real reviews from real members—no fake, bogus, or anonymous reviews here!
DealsAngie’s List is a Community that you’ll use time after time. Research who to hire, learn tips and tricks, and consult with your neighbors
Instant Community AccessMembers can choose from tons of deals and discounts for projects they need to do, like 30% off exterior home painting!
Complaint ResolutionIf a project goes badly, Angie’s List has a complaint resolution team standing by to help you.
Bronx Woodworking Articles
Woodworking reviews in Bronx
his guys had done something ... not WRONG .. but not quite the way he wanted it done, and he had them take it out and do it over so that it was done to his level of quality.
They took about 5 weeks to get the job done, which is maybe a little longer than we had originally expected -- but there were some reasonable delays (had to wait for the stone caps to come in, heavy rains, slightly expanded project scope, etc.). But when his guys came, there was no futzing around, they got to work and worked all day.
He and his guys were not at all a bother to have around -- a few different neighbors went out of their way to tell me how good they were.
I would use these guys again without hesitation.
I've already recommended him to 2 of our best friends.
And at least 2 of our neighbors have asked for his contact info -- which we gave gladly.
... and as soon as we aren't broke again, we have some more projects to get done, and we'll be giving
2. Price: I got 3 estimates all from Angie's List suppliers. The lowest seemed too low to be credible. The highest was way over my means and seemed excessive. price I report in this review includes post-contract additions and tax. The contract lists labor rates for such additions, so one knows what to expect.
3. Personnel: All the workers were skilled and friendly. Most of them have worked for
I single out the carpenter for creativity. FOr the lightwell cover, the design specification was my verbal description and a rough sketch. On site, the carpenter made several design suggestions - really improvements - that I welcomed. The finished result is functional and beautiful.
4. Schedule/Duration: The job started with power washing in mid September. The planned duration was to be 20 to 25 days, subject to weather and the metal shop schedule. The metal shop added over a week even though work was scheduled to allow some overlap of stages. The unusually wet weather, including much rain, a hurricane and a freak early snow storm, delayed all exterior work. This was frustrating but unavoidable.
5. Communication: Since paint and other equipment was stored overnight in my locked garage and because some of the carpentry and window work required access to the house, it was necessary that the painting schedule was coordinated with my personal schedule. Constant communication, usually by email, was essential. (Occasional incompatibility of our schedules
6. Post-job: After inspecting and accepting the completed job, which was beautiful, I discovered to my embarrassment that I had omitted painting A/C exterior ductwork from the initial job description and contract.
Overall, I am extremely satisfied with ”
First, the quality of material purchased was shoddy and at best, third tier from Home Depot. The granite counters, hardwood floors, lighting fixtures, electrical outlets, plumbing material, doors, chandeliers were not off the previous quality. Since he finished the job, we have had to go an replace some of these materials. Furthermore, the walls have stains on them, were painted horribly, and the sheetrock is already cracking. The plumbing leaked resulting in stains on the 1st floor ceiling. When confronted with this, he blamed his worker (apparently someone he fired as a result of his "poor workmanship"). In order to repair, his solution was to repaint the ceiling as opposed to figuring out what caused the leak in the first place.
Second, a "new" roof which he built is already leaking and will require another major expense to repair.
Third, his "new" roof already has holes in them, resulting in raccoons entering the property and now comfortably living in between the 1st and 2nd floor roof. When this was mentioned to him, his solution was to patch a hole on the front of the house. When it was explained to him, that this this did not repair the problem as one can still hear the raccoons scurrying back and forth, he promised to come back for more extensive repairs. To this day, I have not seen him.
Fourth, a shed which he built for us as an additional expense in the back of the house has already collapsed. It actually collapsed during winter when the first snow fell. Mind you, that initial snow was light.
Fifth, he did not install insulation when building the attic walls. This required us to bring in another contractor at an additional cost. Needless to say, he refused to pay for this saying that they were lying. He was supposed to provide proof of him having added insulation. He never did...
Sixth, bathroom fixtures, door knobs, towel holders, appliance hooks, cabinet handles were all of flimsy quality and have had to be replaced.
Seventh, he took hard wood flooring which was left over from the job and claimed it was his. Even though we had agreed that all excess material is owned by us.
Eighth, his installation of the kitchen appliances, especially the washer/dryer was comical. From the onset it vibrated loudly and caused the wall to shake. When confronted with this, he claimed it was a manufacturing problem. I contacted the washer/dryer manufacturer who sent an agent to the house.
Ninth, to add insult to injury, the architect that he recommended in order to file design plans with the NYC Dept of Building ran away and is no longer reachable. Consequently, there is a stop-work order on the property which we will have to incur additional funds to lift. It seems that the architect made some illegal filings and is now no longer reachable. Communication through phone, email is not working.
Now I have tried numerous times to reach Mr.
Perhaps part of this is my fault since neither I nor my father was generally around to keep a watchful eye on him during the repairs. My father was sick and I had to take care of him, while taking care of my family and working two full time jobs.
Nonetheless, I think that he does owe some responsibility in ensuring his workmanship. He was paid over $200K and should have delivered something worthwhile. Whatever happened to pride in what one does. Please, do not make the same mistake I made. Stay away from him or his company.
We think we're the best, and we can prove it.
Try an annual plan and if you want to cancel in your first year, we'll refund you 110%
Annual Plans Only
All Carpenters in Bronx, NY
Saddle River, nj
New York, NY
New Rochelle, NY
Join Angie's List to get the best local reviews in Bronx.
- Instant access to reviews for 700+ services
- Exclusive service discounts - up to 70 percent off!
- Top-notch support from our live call center