Access to trusted reviews, the best Patio Pavers and exclusive discounts!
- Memberships allow Angie’s List to certify that all reviews are real reviews from real members—no fake, bogus, or anonymous reviews here!
- Angie’s List is a Community that you’ll use time after time. Research who to hire, learn tips and tricks, and consult with your neighbors
- Members can choose from tons of deals and discounts for projects they need to do, like 30% off exterior home painting!
- If a project goes badly, Angie’s List has a complaint resolution team standing by to help you.
Matthews Hardscaping Articles
Angie's List In The Press
Matthews Patio Pavers Reviews
The first attempt at installation had concrete that was left spilling out from the patio, the pavers were visibly crocked, no consistent pattern flow from the patio to the walkway, and grout work was visibly irregular. After repeated calls voicing our complaint, the contractor came back to view the patio five days later and agreed that the patio did not look good and the only way to fix the patio was to redo the patio and agreed to in a different style.
In the meantime, the contractor left all their materials in our yard. The first weekend in December 2011, the contractor came out and removed the construction materials after our repeated requests to do so and three days later came to reinstall the patio.
The second attempt at the patio was a Paver patio without grout or concrete. This patio was not structurally sound and a safety issue. The pavers moved under your feet as you walked on them, despite the contractors assurance that the pavers would "settle" and not move. The pavers began to chip and significantly move within days of installation. We attempted for weeks to reach the contractor via phone, even stopping by their office location and could not get a response. Due to our concerns about the stability of the patio, We had another contractor come out and give us an analysis of Premier's patio.
Their analysis is listed below:
2) Downspout which dumped onto the patio needed to be piped under the pavers to prevent erosion from washing out base material or
3) Initial paver installation did not include enough base material or which caused the severe unevenness in the clay pavers. The base material was re-secured with proper gravel sizes and compaction.
4) The patio was set on too much of a slope which would make it more difficult to set furniture. Standard is a 1 1/2% slope maximum.
5) The initial pavers were not tamped in place to "finish" the interlock process which caused them to feel very loose when walked on. This loose feel was making the edges break and chip away.
We hired this other contractor to replace the patio as we have a small child and a dog and the patio that Premier installed was not safe for anyone to walk on. The new contractors were extremely prompt, professional and installed a professional patio.
We gave Premier ample opportunity to respond and the benefit of the doubt but it became clear that they misrepresented their ability to install patios given that both patio styles were deficient and that there was no "fix" this contractor could make as it was clear to the other contractor just by sight that there were significant basic installation deficiencies with Premier's patio second installation.
We requested that Premier give us a full refund of the $3,400 that we paid for the patio portion of the work performed and have an unresolved complaint through the better business bureau for this matter as they refused to go to arbitration. We are evaluating our options with regard to small claims court. The business addresses that we have of record are vacant.
We consider ourselves to be very fair people but this company needs to be held accountable for their poor workmanship and we don't want to see anyone else be taken advantage of as we have been."
About a month later I noticed that one side of the wall had started to lean pretty significantly so I called
They did come out but less prepared than I'd hoped. They basically used a large machine and a pole to attempt to push the wall up (read: vertically straight) and wedged small pieces of wood in the spaces created by pushing on the wall created. As a result it does look like SLIGHTLY better, it's still not straight... never will be. I'm not really worried about the wall falling but do wonder how long it can last. With basic materials like this the differentiation in this
As such I feel I got ripped off (for the price I paid). I gave them an overall C because he at least came to fix it, did it for free, and with a smile on his face. If he hadn't responded I would have of course given him an "F". (And conversely an "A" if he'd built it straight from the start!)
I don't mind spending the money on professionals if their work is at that standard. Unfortunately this time for me it wasn't but I do applaud is enthusiasm regarding fixing the wall when I called several weeks later.
This experience is why I bought a membership in Angie's List. I'm so glad I did! My wife says it was a small price to learn an important life lesson and I have to say I agree with her."
The crew was very punctual and I was extremely impressed with how quickly they accomplished the job.
In the spring
I couldn't have been more please with the quality of the work and the professional way in which they handled the work form start-to-finish. I have already recommended "
All Patio Pavers in Matthews, NC
Indian Trail, NC