Access to trusted reviews, the best Garage Builders and exclusive discounts!
Real Member ReviewsMemberships allow Angie’s List to certify that all reviews are real reviews from real members—no fake, bogus, or anonymous reviews here!
DealsAngie’s List is a Community that you’ll use time after time. Research who to hire, learn tips and tricks, and consult with your neighbors
Instant Community AccessMembers can choose from tons of deals and discounts for projects they need to do, like 30% off exterior home painting!
Complaint ResolutionIf a project goes badly, Angie’s List has a complaint resolution team standing by to help you.
The company is owned by
1. They didn't even know where to file the building permit. They filed it with the city, but it was supposed to be with the county. Oddly, this is the county where the owner and the company both reside. What kind of outfit files the permit in the wrong jurisdiction--and it's their OWN county--not some distant county they rarely work in.
2. We signed the agreement on June 3rd. They showed up for work 2 weeks later.
The foundation crew would work 1-2 hours a day and leave. This drug on for weeks and should have been completed in 1-2 days. When I asked
It quickly became clear the foundation footer was wrong. They wanted 2 stories of brick to sit on the the spilled over concrete from the foundation instead of a proper brick ledge (google "Brick ledge").
3. The foundation work was pathetic. They added a slope to the floor and my plans did not call for it.
The concrete crew failed to remove tree leaves from the concrete and instead covered them up. Eventually, the fingernail depth concrete over the leaves popped off and now there's leaf shaped voids in the concrete.
Finally, the side of the slab was warped and deformed, bulging near the bottom. The bricking crew had to work around this by spacing the brick further than it should have been.
4. The framers couldn't read plans. I don't believe most of them were here legally in this country. And the real contractor,
The framing work was so bad, we're still finding warped walls and openings. That didn't become clear until the sheetrock was in. Their own dry wall contractor commented on the shoddy window openings, noting it wasn't his fault the drywall didn't fit properly. He noted that even the windows don't fit properly as he made the case this wasn't his fault.
Currently, one window and 2 walls are warped or bent--one or more 2x4s are bowed in the wall. These are easily noticeable with the naked eye--no level or measuring tools needed. Do you want warped walls? don't hire these clowns.
5. The drywall guys were like the framers--no English, some evidence they're not here legally, and no attention to detail. The drywall still isn't properly fixed. Just some areas they decided they weren't going to sand. Your guess is as good as mine on the logic here. The drywall guy blamed the contractor on his scope of work. He said
I frequently find the contractor and the salesman are so out of touch, his own subcontractors don't know what to do.
6. They ordered the wrong window for a custom window in the building. I've heard a couple of different stories on this. One is the building supply company made a mistake and an employee was fired (unlikely). The other is
7. The timing and oversight is terrible. They are absentee builders. The guy running the project isn't even a builder. No one reviews the work or checks for quality. That's why I have warped walls and a warped foundation. They never have any idea what is going on. They call me to ask because they have no clue what's happening on the job site.
8. Do you really want to do business with a shady company? They submit a bid to you with detailed line items. For most contractors, that becomes the contract. That was the case with my last building I had built. Not the case here. They then pull out a contract you've never seen before. They vaguely write in items without as much detail. Buried within this document is language that says that the bid they submitted isn't valid and only this contract is valid. Interestingly, they also claim they aren't liable for their own engineering services. I presume this is because of dirt compaction problems and foundation problems they had on another site. One of their subs told me about that. The problem in my case was they specified a specific garage door in my bid, and later briefly tried to say that bid wasn't valid, only the contract which simply said "garage door". They reversed course on that idea. But from that contract is a good microcosm of the whole project. Nothing is what it seems and nothing is what you expect.
9. Bricking. We wanted a bricked in window, with no actual window. The price came back sky high and
Some of the mortar in that bricked window is falling out. That's going be another repair for them. That's because the brick guys had to redo it because, as I suspected, they didn't understand what
9. DO NOT do business with these people. Think of the person you dislike the most. Maybe it's an ex-spouse? If you've lived long enough, there are people you dislike. Some strongly so. But I would not wish this incompetent company on ANYONE I have ever known. IF YOU USE THESE CLOWNS, you WILL have to babysit your own project. You might as well be your own contractor, since this contractor isn't going to manage his own sub-contractors.
You are paying a contractor for his expertise and knowledge in construction AND their selection of subcontractors. I have no doubt
10. 12 weeks into this project, my project isn't done. Weeks by with no activity. I'm done babysitting subcontractors. I'm done begging for mistakes to be repaired. I'm simply going to withhold the final payment and point out each outstanding item, flaw or repair, one item at a time.
If you're even thinking of using this business, or one of the other 3 businesses owned by
shed or building thats covered by a great warranty and looks awesome. I was very impressed and amazed by the delivery and set
up which is done by one man and a very interesting delivery system. And last but not least not only wher they polite and punctual
they finished my order almost 2 weeks ahead of schedule. And one final note they even brought me a plate of home made cookies in appreation for my business!! A+ rating in my book.
I signed a contract the with
Prior to this and per the direction of the builder, I hired the concrete/excavator company to perform site excavation and preparation, which had to be done before the builder could begin.
For the 4-5 weeks after excavation and ground prep was complete, the builder continually promised (provided specific dates)
on which he and his crew would show up to being building the barn.
Throughout the month of OCT, each promised date would come and go. Builder would not call, e-mail, or otherwise inform me that he was (again) delaying the start date. Each time, he provided a subsequent start date. Each time the NEXT start date would arrive, the same thing would occur - absolutely no notice, no communication, some unfounded excuse of why he could not start, and a promise of yet another start date.
Into November, the same thing. 11 NOV, 15 NOV, and finally 18 NOV.
On several of these days, I had actually taken a vacation day off (from work) to be there for the start of the build to make sure my expectations were in line with builder's understanding. No contact, no call, no e-mail ... just a no-show.
When I called him (as I always had to when he didn't show up) when he didn't show up on 18 NOV, builder said he wasn't showing up. He became belligerent with me, used profanity, telling me to "F*ck off" because I DARED to ask him why he kept bailing out on me and failing to show up as promised, and then he quit.
I have witnesses that HEARD him as he YELLED at me on the phone. "F*CK YOU! I'M DROPPING YOU LIKE A HOT
POTATO!" were his EXACT words.
Since the builder had pulled the building permits in HIS name, not only was I out $363 for those useless permits, but I had to pay for them AGAIN once I found another builder. (PMYC eventually refunded a small portion of those permit costs, but only because the county refunded a small portion to him).
So in the middle of November in Michigan, just days away from our first big snow, and with $17,000 worth of materials ALREADY bought, paid for, and sitting in my driveway,
If I had to have a pole barn built and
We think we're the best, and we can prove it.
Try an annual plan and if you want to cancel in your first year, we'll refund you 110%
Annual Plans Only
All Garage Builders in Marshall, MI
Residential general builder
Grand Rapids, MI
All in one builders inc is a full service licensed residential builder. new construction,...
Financing available. additional contact names - daniel m tyler & kim tyler. additional dba -...
Located in williamston, mi since 1998, alpha & omega stove and sweep serves the entire state...
Liscensed custom home builder serving the southwest michigan area. berchiatti homes is a...
Blue line remodeling, llc is a small, portage based company, that values our customers. we...
Bobs ext contract inc. is a full service super contractor which contracts in residential...
We have over 35 years of experience in residential housing. our company focuses on doing the...
Storm damage contractors and insurance claims specialists for residential and commercial...
We are a licensed and insured company that takes pride in our work and customer satisfaction....
We offer a full scale of all outdoor improvements, from simple lawn care to complete landscape...
2 professional, licensed, insured builders joined to give you over 40 years of combined...
Charles concrete is a residential/ light commercial concrete company who specializes in...
Clipper home improvements is a sole proprietor licensed builder
We at ctp construction will beat other competitor prices and will guarantee our services if we...
Battle Creek, MI
For over 40 years, d. stiles construction has been providing high quality services in and...
Deloof builders is a 4th generation familly owned buisness. we do work from the foundation up...
Empire construction enterprises, llc is a licensed and insured residential builder, providing...
South Haven, MI
Building contractor involved in all residential construction fields and light commercial....
Battle Creek, MI
Battle Creek, MI
1-6 employees other information available upon request, all work by contract, payment...
At handlang construction we offer the highest quality procedures while still trying to keep it...
I'm a family owned and operated licensed and insured construction company. with 35+ years of...
Specializing in residential remoldeling and new construction with over 25 years experience
I am a licensed builder and generally do all the work myself but have sub-contractors that...
Profile home maintenance professionals llc specializes in yearly property maintenance &...
Custom design / build contractor specializing in custom homes, remodeling and light commercial...
Know your contractor....hostetler construction is known for building personal relationships...
Innovative builders provides top-notch home remodeling services to the kalamazoo, mi area. we...
Awards: 2006 remolder of the year nominee 2005 hba staircase of remodeled homes; most dramatic...
We give free estimates. we are family owned and operated for over 20 years. debbie and tom,...
Over 30 years of experience in construction/remodeling
30+ years in business, licensed and insured. customer and builder set up billing that is...
South Haven, MI
Mater home improvement does everything from minor handyman work to building new custom homes. ...
Miller decks and more is a family business. we have been building for more than 15 years. we...
We specialize in new construction, home improvement, remodeling, additions,...
Three Rivers, MI
Owner operated. 15 years experience.
Battle Creek, MI
Royal Oak, MI
We are a remodeling homeowner advocate. remodeling second opinion helps homeowners by stopping...
I have been a self-employed contractor for 40 years. i have constructed new homes to small...
We accept credit cards. additional pho # (269)649-1822.
Welcome to rob seth construction. we are a high quality building & remodeling company. we are...
Building and maintenence of all types!
For all your roofing needs, along with home remodeling, repair and general contracting. over...
30 yrs. experance we do it all we take pride in our work, no job to small or big. you name...
Paw Paw, MI
We are a small, family-owned and operated general contracting/construction business offering...
Grand Rapids, MI
From design and planning, though construction and to the finished job, suprass renovations...
Swan's handyman service is family owned and operated company. there are 6 employees, and we do...
Almost four decades of experience! residential - small business -...
Our emergency services is available 24/7 at 800-493-8673. certified aging-in-place specialist
There is no job too small. i've been doing remodeling for 40 years. i have seen almost every...
We are a home improvement company that can do all aspects of building. we can build from the...
We are a small company that do every project we take on by ourselves. we have never and never...
Additional phone numbers - (269) 624-0301, (877) 837-8251. additional fax - (269) 415-0301....
I am a sole proprietor. i work by myself 90% of the time but have contact to call in when...
Michigan based contractor. we are a genaral contractor workmans comp.
As a small business, we are taking smaller home repair and remodeling projects. this enables...
South Haven, MI
Small construction company, crew of about 8 men work with local sub contractors, we can...
Join Angie's List to get the best local reviews in Marshall.
- Instant access to reviews for 700+ services
- Exclusive service discounts - up to 70 percent off!
- Top-notch support from our live call center