Access to trusted reviews, the best Landscapers and exclusive discounts!
Real Member ReviewsMemberships allow Angie’s List to certify that all reviews are real reviews from real members—no fake, bogus, or anonymous reviews here!
DealsAngie’s List is a Community that you’ll use time after time. Research who to hire, learn tips and tricks, and consult with your neighbors
Instant Community AccessMembers can choose from tons of deals and discounts for projects they need to do, like 30% off exterior home painting!
Complaint ResolutionIf a project goes badly, Angie’s List has a complaint resolution team standing by to help you.
Mcpherson Landscaping Articles
Landscaping reviews in Mcpherson
We then noticed blocks in the steps put in upside down with glue coming out between the blocks. I asked them to be sure weed barriers are properly installed under the flower beds to prevent weeds, less than a month there was several weeds. He said he put in lawn seed to regrow the areas of lawn beside his patio work, grass never grew and now I have just weeds and dirt.
This guy convinced me, and he will convince you that he does excellent work, this is not the case, his work is a disgrace. I asked him to call over and fix the problems but he didn't and stopped taking my calls.
I since hired another company to fix all his work which is now complete but cost me Thousands of Dollars extra.
Work began on time and ended on time. There were no problems. None. Staff were professional, hard, good and heads-up workers. They were clean and respectful of my garden. If they had questions about things, they would ask me, and not just go-ahead and do things.
I have to end with a statement about the project's cost--approximately $20,000 plus a bit. I have to say I was a bit taken aback by the price for a roughly 16 X 20 ft. backyard. But I had gotten 2 other estimates prior to contacting
One final comment,
The provider arrived at my house at the scheduled time, and reviewed everything that he planned to do, which I found very thorough and professional. Before cleaning up and leaving, the provider checked back in with me to
ensure that I was satisfied with the work, and I absolutely was. The finished product exceeded my expectations and the landscaping improvements really made my home look stunning. The provider even edged some additional areas (sidewalks and driveway) for which no there were no extra charges.
I will definitely hire
Our job was broken up into two parts and price quotes (one for around the pool and south side of the yard and the second was a refresh of existing sod area on the north side and reshaping a paver patio. If I could I would rate the project around the pool and south yard a "B" but the north side was a "D".
1. The design process was good. The proposed plan was presented after meeting with
2. They were flexible in that they modified the plan for a change in the size of the pool equipment wall and added water and ran conduit for misting system lines (yes it added cost however we appreciated their flexibility).
3. Their choice of landscape lighting is very nice and installed well!
4. Their sod vendor decided to deliver the sod for my project on the street outside our gated community instead of in front of our house. This caused some added time in having to transfer the sod and it
5. The paver installation around the pool and the new lawn on the south of the yard was done well.
1. The crew did not install hardscape exactly to the plan drawn. This includes not placing the trash can screen wall in the right place per plan and required us to make an unexpected compromise as they had already built half of the wall when I noticed it was not even close to the proposed plan.
2. The crew did not match the plan for the south lawn area or placement of the raised garden planter. I discovered it too late in the process and had to make yet another compromise.
3. The crew did not install the sprinkler timer correctly which meant that the sprinkler valves did not come on. They hooked up the wiring incorrectly from the valves to the controller. I noticed after they installed the lawn on the 4th of
4. From their prior work they installed three fire pits for us in the patio using concrete planters. I asked on multiple occasions that they would be reinstalled lined up and square after they moved them for the paver patio installation and refresh. They were not square and not even close to being lined up. The gas key cutouts in the pavers were beyond substandard. They cut the pavers too large for the opening and backfilled them with sand. This is not how the original installation was done.
5. The existing fire pit gas valves needed to be raised slightly, they had a gas contractor install risers but then the gas key would not fit in the valve - Why? Well after I complained and the gas contractor came out we noticed that to raise the valve they used parts that were corroded and that's why the key did not fit into the valve? It's because they used recycled parts they had instead of spending $1.04 on a new part.
5. The north side of the yard is another story entirely. We had originally had a curved grass area which was being modified to square/rectangle and the mounding was supposed to be flattened. The list of issues on this side are numerous. They did not fix the mounding in the lawn leaving a huge hump in the square/rectangle lawn. Then they did not even move the sprinkler heads to the
6. Clean-up: Yes they cleaned up but there are all sorts of huge chunks of mortar, rocks, caliche clumps and litter. I have cleaned up what I can but I keep finding more the more I walk the yard.
7. In general, they left me with what I estimate as two pallets of pavers (from the existing patios) stacked near the rip rap area they did not replace. I had asked the project manager that they be stacked elsewhere.
8. We have cutouts with different gravel in them (per landscapers plan) it's minus compacted and dark brown. They first installed the wrong gravel in these cutouts, I noticed and then they pulled out the gravel and put in the minus per plan but the minus they ordered was not the correct existing color. They eventually fixed it but they also buried my plans in the minus gravel. It looks wrong.
So I called to get these issues remedied (grade = c) and the saddest part is that when they fixed the mound in the lawn they installed a different variety of sod (even though I stressed that it was Tifway 419). When they fixed the sprinkler heads they left even more large rocks and they did not even fix all the sprinkler heads. They forgot to replace a dead plant and then when they came back a second time with the correct sod they missed a section so now I have mostly Tifway 419 and a patch of Midiron sod??????????
In general communication was the worst part. I checked in via phone calls and e-mail to confirm important items including sending detailed written communication and the important items never really got addressed. On the warranty items I was told they met with the crew and discussed in detail what needed to be done per my e-mail (fix sod, fix sprinkler heads, line up fire pits) but when they showed up they asked questions about each item - I was told they met, went over my e-mail and discussed what needed to be done. I would be told one thing one day and then something else the next day by the project manager during and after we finished the project.
So I am done now, though there are still a handful of issues that bug me I will do them myself - I am tired of picking up rocks out of my lawn every time they show up. Overall I am more disappointed than mad - we had a great experience in 2010 and a bad experience in 2014. I will likely be re-soding the entire north lawn in the spring (I will get all the rocks out of the lawn and I will fix those sprinkler heads too).
I definitely plan on having
The work itself was done quite well and scheduled within a couple of days of the proposal. Crew used care not to damage other trees, shrubs, etc. on the property as they went about taking down trees and hauling off debris. They cleaned up the site afterward - including using a blower to rid the decks in our yard of sawdust.
All in all we were quite happy with the actual work, but the problems noted above with the discrepancy between the proposal and what was written up for the crew $$-wise left a bad taste and caused unnecessary conversations, etc. with crew. We may well use them again but we will be very, very careful to make sure the proposal is written up clearly and accurately reflects what was discussed regarding the work to be done and the cost.
We think we're the best, and we can prove it.
Try an annual plan and if you want to cancel in your first year, we'll refund you 110%
Annual Plans Only
All Landscapers in Mcpherson, KS
Tinley Park, IL
Join Angie's List to get the best local reviews in Mcpherson.
- Instant access to reviews for 700+ services
- Exclusive service discounts - up to 70 percent off!
- Top-notch support from our live call center