A structural engineer explains why to hire an engineer and draft a plan before repairing a wet basement or crawl space.
Find Top-Rated Waterbury Waterproofing Contractors
Angie's List helps you hire the best - and avoid the rest!
Waterproofing Contractors to Avoid
Top Rated Waterproofing Contractors
Prevent buyer's remorse with us
- Over 3 million people trust Angie's List to help make the right choice
- Be informed to avoid costly mistakes
- Shop with us to ensure a fair price
- Our complaint resolution team will help if a project goes bad
Over 1,847 reviews for
Waterbury Waterproofing Contractors from people just like you.
Over 2 million people trust Angie's List.
- Your Membership Includes:
- Instant access to top rated businesses covering 700+ services
- Our Complaint Resolution Team to help when a project goes bad
- On-the-go access to our iPhone, Android, & iPad apps
Access to trusted reviews, the best Waterproofing Contractors and exclusive discounts!
Real Member ReviewsMemberships allow Angie’s List to certify that all reviews are real reviews from real members—no fake, bogus, or anonymous reviews here!
DealsAngie’s List is a Community that you’ll use time after time. Research who to hire, learn tips and tricks, and consult with your neighbors
Instant Community AccessMembers can choose from tons of deals and discounts for projects they need to do, like 30% off exterior home painting!
Complaint ResolutionIf a project goes badly, Angie’s List has a complaint resolution team standing by to help you.
Local Articles in Waterbury
A member asked Angie Hicks what to do about water pooling in her crawl space
Ask your basement waterproofing contractor these key questions.
Here are the pros, cons and costs connected with the various basement waterproofing methods.
Where is the home located, what is the exterior wall construction and type, how is the space heated?
It could be a whole host of different scenarios that would generate that result. It is nearly impossible to tell but I would say that most basement moisture problems are a result of bulk moisture intrusion or condensation issues.
Given the deep and hard winter this year, it could be a condensation issue that hadn't previously been shown.
Basement Waterproofing reviews in Waterbury
About two weeks after they completed their work we had a bad storm in the area and rec'd quite a bit of rain. I watched the new sump-pump they installed and it was filling up then...woosh... it was all gone and the water again began to fill it up. Checked all the walls in the basement and none of them were wet so... basement is now dry!!! YEA!!!
There were a few other companies I had come give me and estimate and none were as circumspect about finding the right balance between solving the problem but not over doing it (and thus, spending too much money). I had other companies that wanted to put french drains on all 3 sides of my yard with 4 catch basins, which I understand now would have been like killing an ant with an elephant. One of the reasons I chose this company was because I appreciated the iterative approach. I also liked that they were a "drainage" company and not a landscape company. I wanted to work with a company that knew what they were doing when it came to drainage. I also liked that they said they were going to use 4" white heavy duty PVC pipe that would last the lifetime of the house. The black corrugated piping was only going to last 5-10 years at which time I (or the new owner) would have to replace it. I wanted to do this job once, and I wanted to do it the "right" way.
Once I received approval from our
I look forward to our next monsoon!
We had Champion come out and provide us a quote to waterproof our basement. The quote process began shortly after a week of downpours, causing some standing water in the basement. When Champion first got there, the first thing that I pointed out to them was that there is a drain at the bottom of the walkout to the backdoor. We have always blamed the drain for backing up and water coming in under the door due to getting covered with leaves and such. My comment to Champion was that this was not the only place water came in this time so it wasn't as much of a problem as we had originally thought. This was determined by the fact that we had a towel in front of the door that was only a little wet, but still had a lot of water in other areas of the basement.
Champion quoted me to waterproof the the side of the house and along the front and put in a sump pump. After receiving multiple quotes from other companies, we chose Champion and had the work done on
Champion doesn't have an electrician on staff, so they recommended one to us to have an outlet installed for the sump pump. I called the electrician they could not come out for three weeks. Therefore, I called a different electrician and had them come out and install the outlet on
The first big rain we had on
After the electrician left, I called Champion and did not get a call back. My wife sent two emails the next day before getting an email back saying the problem is our fault and that they can come in and do additional work for $1750 (see below for details)
1. They say that I told them that the drain was not a problem and not to worry about it. They say that they repeatedly told me that the drain needed to be fixed and I would not let them. This was not the case as I told them up front that it had been a problem for years. When Champion provided their proposal, I did not tell them not to do anything they wanted (just as I did with the other
quotes). My assumption is that they know their business, so I would not question their proposal.
2. Champion says that the sump pump not being on a dedicated circuit voids the warranty. This is not
written anywhere in the warranty. On the original quote, Champion said they can have an outlet installed for $200. Nowhere in the process was a dedicated circuit installed until after the fact when the waterproofing did not work.
3. One of the places where water came in after the job was next to the crawl space. The foreman told me that they should have done that originally. Champion says that they came come back and do the crawl space and the drain for $1750. The drain will tie into a 2nd sump pump per Champion’s design. I question why they would want to put in another sump pump when they say the first isn’t working due to electric. Wouldn’t the 2nd pump not work also due to electrical problems (as claimed by Champion)
4. Champion now claims that I am trying to get free work out of them. Not the case at all. I want it done correctly and Champion has already proved that they are not capable of doing that. I do not want any additional work out of them. I do not want to have to battle them in the future every time there is a problem because they will blame it on another factor.
In the end, we paid nearly $3500 and still have problems. Champion wants us to spend more money and says the problem is our fault because they wanted to do the additional work initially but we would not let them. My claim is that why would I only want part
of the basement waterproofed? The answer is that I would not; therefore there is no way I would tell them not to do anything they suggested. I have a lifetime warranty that is no good because no matter what happens, Champion says that it is not their fault.
My wife called another waterproofing company to get a quote to do the job correctly and provided the scenario to them, without mentioning Champion by name. Their first comment was, “let me guess, you went with Champion and have been working with
I looked up Champion recently and found on BBB that they have had 7 complaints in three years. 5 of these were marked as unresolved. Also, Angie’s List has some unresolved comments. Based upon these reviews, if you have problems them you might as well not even bother as Champion will claim that it’s not their fault.
Waterproofing Contractors in Waterbury, CT
Join Angie's List to get the best local reviews in Waterbury.
- Instant access to reviews for 700+ services
- Exclusive service discounts - up to 70 percent off!
- Top-notch support from our live call center