Access to trusted reviews, the best Deck Builders and exclusive discounts!
Real Member ReviewsMemberships allow Angie’s List to certify that all reviews are real reviews from real members—no fake, bogus, or anonymous reviews here!
DealsAngie’s List is a Community that you’ll use time after time. Research who to hire, learn tips and tricks, and consult with your neighbors
Instant Community AccessMembers can choose from tons of deals and discounts for projects they need to do, like 30% off exterior home painting!
Complaint ResolutionIf a project goes badly, Angie’s List has a complaint resolution team standing by to help you.
Richmond Deck Building Articles
Deck Building reviews in Richmond
siding bid process, due to the costs decided to wait but had
wood siding and porch repairs early 2013 that was perfect work. Latter part of this year 2013, re-bid and selected
Pros: Best bid I got both times including a few upgrades. Work was professionally done, looks like I
have a brand new house and have gotten nothing but compliments from the
neighborhood. The owner and estimator/contact
(no hard sell), and a great eye for color/design suggestions. I followed one of his design suggestions and
was blown away with the results! The
work crew itself were professional and cleaned up daily and at the end of the
job, headed by
to any questions.
Cons: Besides a couple miss-communications on job details (have never
seen that not happen lol) which were resolved and corrected immediately, I have
no other issues. I am typically very
critical of contractors and the resulting work, but would have to give a 98%
out of 100% to
work quality to follow up.
Once the project started,
At 9:35 on Sunday the gentleman showed up. I started showing him the specifics.
1) The french door. We could fix that if he had a paddle bit in his truck and if I would go and get a cover for the hole he drilled in the floor. I offered my drill and standard bit so he could drill a smaller hole and fixed that.
2) He looked at the deck and agreed with me that it needed fixing. He wanted to reschedule for another time and wanted me to go to Home Depot or Lowes to pick up the supplies for an extra $10. He also suggested that I pick up a Deck Sealer that he recommended and that I should pick that up because I had to decide a color (that I agreed wtih).
3) He looked at where I wanted the railing and seemed surprised that I wanted it to mount to the concrete in place...he, of course didn't have the tools to do that either. I also did not have a high degree of confidence that he knew how to do that task.
He left with a promise to get back with me later that day after talking to the owner and to schedule the job that was suppose to be done that afternoon for either Monday or Tuesday and also he wanted another person to come out there (so now $80/hr) with him with the promise that it would take half the time. As he heads out the door I ask about what we are doing about the railing. He tells me to just measure the distance and buy piping but they can't cut it.
I go to Lowes. They do not have the deck sealant. So I call him. At that time he says that I need to go to Home Depot...even though I told him earlier I'm going to Lowes. He also told me he talked to the boss and they "might" be able to get back to me later this week. With the complete lack of professionalism so far I doubted it so asked for him to have the owner call me back. So far I have not heard back.
Bottom line, I call professionals when I do want to deal with a project or do not have the tools or expertise myself. I do not expect to have to supply tools, run around town getting supplies, and having to measure and figure out what's needed myself. I also expect that when I give someone a list of what needs doing and they say they are coming to do it, that they are prepared to either do the task or get the materials and then do the tasks. I thought that was what I was buying.
Update: In response to doing no work for me, that is correct even though I wish they were prepared to work the four hours they scheduled. I have not received any contact from this provider since my original review.”
I then put ,after at least 2 weeks, my deck furniture and pots. I noticed the next day that there was what looked like mud spots all over the deck. It rained and I sprayed them with the hose thinking it would come right off. It did not. Then, I moved some furniture and more
We think we're the best, and we can prove it.
Try an annual plan and if you want to cancel in your first year, we'll refund you 110%
Annual Plans Only
All Deck Builders in Richmond, VA
Ruther Glen, VA
Shop Local Deck Building Services in Richmond
- Deck BuildersSignature Deck and Pergola Co.Member Price$4999 $5500VIEW
Join Angie's List to get the best local reviews in Richmond.
- Instant access to reviews for 700+ services
- Exclusive service discounts - up to 70 percent off!
- Top-notch support from our live call center