Certain elements of your home are best inspected and maintained in the summer months. One highly rated provider explains the top summer projects.
Find Top-Rated New York Handyman Services
Angie's List helps you hire the best - and avoid the rest!
Handyman Services to Avoid
Top Rated Handyman Services
Prevent buyer's remorse with us
- Over 3 million people trust Angie's List to help make the right choice
- Be informed to avoid costly mistakes
- Shop with us to ensure a fair price
- Our complaint resolution team will help if a project goes bad
Over 43,001 reviews for
New York Handyman Services from people just like you.
Shop, Search and Save from anywhere!
- Offers are exclusively provided by highly rated companies
- Angie’s List members have access to exclusive discounts on local services
- Shop, schedule, and stay on top of progress from any device
- Our 30 Day Refund Guarantee means you can buy with confidence!
STANLEY LEWIS PLUMBING & HEATING
American Jewel Window Systems
American Jewel Window Systems
Over 2 million people trust Angie's List.
- Your Membership Includes:
- Instant access to top rated businesses covering 700+ services
- Our Complaint Resolution Team to help when a project goes bad
- On-the-go access to our iPhone, Android, & iPad apps
Access to trusted reviews, the best Handyman Services and exclusive discounts!
Real Member ReviewsMemberships allow Angie’s List to certify that all reviews are real reviews from real members—no fake, bogus, or anonymous reviews here!
DealsAngie’s List is a Community that you’ll use time after time. Research who to hire, learn tips and tricks, and consult with your neighbors
Instant Community AccessMembers can choose from tons of deals and discounts for projects they need to do, like 30% off exterior home painting!
Complaint ResolutionIf a project goes badly, Angie’s List has a complaint resolution team standing by to help you.
Local Articles in New York
Nervous to knock a hole in your ceiling?
Hiring a handyman? The following tips will help ensure you and your handyman are on the same page.
Often described as a “jack-of-all-trades,” handymen perform many tasks homeowners don’t know how to do.
OK - terminology issue here. The "shower pan" is a collection liner than underlies the shower floor itself, and is designed (if built and plumbed right) to trap any leakage from the shower floor and route it to the same floor drain pipe. Example image here, copper in this case -
It sounds like your are saying the shower floor or base unit failed - likely a fiberglass or plastic shower, which commonly fail due to incomplete support under them. This can be repaired if fiberglass, but is not usually done unless just microcracking, as it is hard to find an expert - usually you have to have a car body fiberglass specialist or a surfboard repair expert do it, and the color will not match perfectly unless you get a new gelcoat over the entire base unit. Cost about $300-500, ASSUMING the material can be repaired - true fiberglass can, thermoplastic can sometimes be welded but anyone's guess how long it will last without cracking again, plastics like PVC can rarely be fixed so they will hold someone standing on them. Any sort of repair is likely to crack again, because you have done nothing to remove the cause of the cracking which is standing on a base that is not fully supported over its full extent. Some cheepo or desperate plumbers try injecting non-pressuring type expanding foam underneath to improve the support - this does a great job of supporting it but unfortunately supports mold, so starts stinking in short order as a rule.
The normal fix is to remove and replace it, because once it is out there is no sense in putting a damaged one back in for the small increment in cost. Removing it means taking the shower wall liners or the bottom row or two of tile out so you can get the new base unit into place (because they overlap it), then replacing them. So, the $3000 range indicated is indicative of this type of job, which typically runs from a very low of around $1500-2000 for an identical base unit, to more typically $3-5,000 depending on whether a shower enclosure or tile walls. Of course,when the new one is put in, it is CRITICAL that it be fully supported - this means rubbing plumbers rouge or similar marking substance on the bottom, test fitting it, and then lifting it out and checking that all the stiffener ribs and support pads made contact with the pan, and making adjusments as necessary until it has full contact, then standing in it and rocking back and forth to check for any points not making full contat and fixing them.
The $10,000 plus numbers you got must have been for entire shower replacement down to the joists and studs, and the $30,000 range number would be typical for a full bathroom remodel with new shower or shower/tub and doors and surround, wall finishes, vanity, sink, toilet, and flooring and door.
I am not sure a general handyman is the right person for the skylight. We fix quite a few skylights that were installed by handymen and that could be the problem at its origination. You will want a roofer for that.
As long as you are splitting the trades at that point, might as well get a flooring contractor to look at the floor once you have figured out the skylight repair/replacement equation.
Handyman reviews in New York
Another big issue was that
The workmanship of the crew was so-so. While my place looks tremendously better, the walls that they built were uneven in places. The attention to detail was sometimes weak. I visited the site everyday and pointed out any problems, as the crew worked. I was told everything would be fine in e the end, but it wasn't. The crew wasn't clever with projects.:
What annoyed me most was that
When Mr. there was less than 1/16 of an inch clearance around the door and frame, and that the wood will swell during humid summer days. Any swelling would inhibit the doors from closing. Mr.
1) He actually turns up on time, starts work on time i.e. he runs a business that works like normal businesses not like he is doing me a favour as per the norm in NYC
2) He actually keeps to schedule, he said a time-frame and twice has stuck to it
3) Most if not all of his employees and contractors are all Russian/ex Soviet and i strongly suspect they are massively over qualified. The two plumbers that turned up were clearly engineers by training. They did a great job.
4) With the little extra's he is great at organizing and recommending where to get them and what to spend money on and what not too
So that is the pro's. His price is right, he does the job and he does it well.
I do have to put the con's down or else the review is a bit disingenuous. They are really very small things and many of them i suspect are my fault and inexperience...not that i have written that i am trying to think of the cons and failing. If pushed I would say:
1) He gave me an invoice and i thought that would be it; however, i still needed to buy some hardware and had not factored that in. Again my fault just would have liked to know this upfront (also we are not talking about large sums c.$1k)
2) Thats really it, just a single con and its probably my fault
Over all i would give him full
Geeorge reconfirmed the $100/hr price and estimated 8-9 hrs of work. Then who "happened" to be waiting in the "van" somewhere outside. Ok, COOL! 2 guys, figured they'd be done sooner and if anything better for me. Turns out I was wrong here also.
They ran through our place like a tornado. Tools everywhere, dirty hands, touching walls and leaving bring
Long story short- he stained our
closet hooks have failed out of the dry wall (no proper reinforcement at all, and no drilling into any brick behind the dry wall to make it more sturdy as promised). Our track lighting works when it wants to, the dimmer
They finished in 6 hours, I gave
About 3-5 days after
SO, I called
EVEN TODAY ANOTHER SHELF in the bedroom fell off the wall. It just reminded me of how angry I am that he wouldn't even take the time to stop back by and have the integrity and customer service to fix what we paid him to do properly. BAD MOVE HIRING THIS GUY! Be careful, he's charming and funny but he'll take your money and you'll never see him again.
THE WORST SERVICE IN ANY FIELD FROM ANY SERVICE I've EVER BEEN PROVIDED WITH. EVER!!!!!!! And I tipped them very generously considering the way the blasted in and out of here. Now we are back to square one trying to find a trustworthy, reliable handyman who can do good solid work. Time is no issue. I just want quality. Funny how all the good reviews this guy has are from HUGE JOBS. I SEE HOW HE RUNS HIS BUSINESS...... You pay for a big service you get good service. Small jobs, you're wasting your money.
Handyman Services in New York
South Ozone Park
Port Jefferson Station
Croton On Hudson
Long Island City
Shop Local Handyman Services in New York
- PlumbersSTANLEY LEWIS PLUMBING & HEATINGMember Price$179 $189VIEW
- Window InstallersAmerican Jewel Window SystemsMember Price$2125 $3025VIEW
Join Angie's List to get the best local reviews in New York.
- Instant access to reviews for 700+ services
- Exclusive service discounts - up to 70 percent off!
- Top-notch support from our live call center