Arm yourself with these informative questions before hiring a handyman in New York City.
Find Top-Rated New York Handyman Services
Angie's List helps you hire the best - and avoid the rest!
Handyman Services to Avoid
Top Rated Handyman Services
Prevent buyer's remorse with us
- Over 3 million people trust Angie's List to help make the right choice
- Be informed to avoid costly mistakes
- Shop with us to ensure a fair price
- Our complaint resolution team will help if a project goes bad
Over 50,396 reviews for
New York Handyman Services from people just like you.
Shop, Search and Save from anywhere!
- Offers are exclusively provided by highly rated companies
- Angie’s List members have access to exclusive discounts on local services
- Shop, schedule, and stay on top of progress from any device
- Our 30 Day Refund Guarantee means you can buy with confidence!
STANLEY LEWIS PLUMBING & HEATING
ONE CALL ELECTRICAL, HEATING & COOLING SERVICE INC
Over 2 million people trust Angie's List.
- Your Membership Includes:
- Instant access to top rated businesses covering 700+ services
- Our Complaint Resolution Team to help when a project goes bad
- On-the-go access to our iPhone, Android, & iPad apps
Access to trusted reviews, the best Handyman Services and exclusive discounts!
Real Member ReviewsMemberships allow Angie’s List to certify that all reviews are real reviews from real members—no fake, bogus, or anonymous reviews here!
DealsAngie’s List is a Community that you’ll use time after time. Research who to hire, learn tips and tricks, and consult with your neighbors
Instant Community AccessMembers can choose from tons of deals and discounts for projects they need to do, like 30% off exterior home painting!
Complaint ResolutionIf a project goes badly, Angie’s List has a complaint resolution team standing by to help you.
Local Articles in New York
Nervous to knock a hole in your ceiling?
Dear Angie: Who can I hire to prepare my patio for spring, and what should it cost? — Eugenia C., District Heights, Maryland
Renovating and maintaining a bathroom becomes much easier with the right tools.
OK - terminology issue here. The "shower pan" is a collection liner than underlies the shower floor itself, and is designed (if built and plumbed right) to trap any leakage from the shower floor and route it to the same floor drain pipe. Example image here, copper in this case -
It sounds like your are saying the shower floor or base unit failed - likely a fiberglass or plastic shower, which commonly fail due to incomplete support under them. This can be repaired if fiberglass, but is not usually done unless just microcracking, as it is hard to find an expert - usually you have to have a car body fiberglass specialist or a surfboard repair expert do it, and the color will not match perfectly unless you get a new gelcoat over the entire base unit. Cost about $300-500, ASSUMING the material can be repaired - true fiberglass can, thermoplastic can sometimes be welded but anyone's guess how long it will last without cracking again, plastics like PVC can rarely be fixed so they will hold someone standing on them. Any sort of repair is likely to crack again, because you have done nothing to remove the cause of the cracking which is standing on a base that is not fully supported over its full extent. Some cheepo or desperate plumbers try injecting non-pressuring type expanding foam underneath to improve the support - this does a great job of supporting it but unfortunately supports mold, so starts stinking in short order as a rule.
The normal fix is to remove and replace it, because once it is out there is no sense in putting a damaged one back in for the small increment in cost. Removing it means taking the shower wall liners or the bottom row or two of tile out so you can get the new base unit into place (because they overlap it), then replacing them. So, the $3000 range indicated is indicative of this type of job, which typically runs from a very low of around $1500-2000 for an identical base unit, to more typically $3-5,000 depending on whether a shower enclosure or tile walls. Of course,when the new one is put in, it is CRITICAL that it be fully supported - this means rubbing plumbers rouge or similar marking substance on the bottom, test fitting it, and then lifting it out and checking that all the stiffener ribs and support pads made contact with the pan, and making adjusments as necessary until it has full contact, then standing in it and rocking back and forth to check for any points not making full contat and fixing them.
The $10,000 plus numbers you got must have been for entire shower replacement down to the joists and studs, and the $30,000 range number would be typical for a full bathroom remodel with new shower or shower/tub and doors and surround, wall finishes, vanity, sink, toilet, and flooring and door.
I am not sure a general handyman is the right person for the skylight. We fix quite a few skylights that were installed by handymen and that could be the problem at its origination. You will want a roofer for that.
As long as you are splitting the trades at that point, might as well get a flooring contractor to look at the floor once you have figured out the skylight repair/replacement equation.
Handyman reviews in New York
This job started out early in the morning with transporting packed boxes to a They were so huge he could only take two at a time in his van. Between trips, I received a call from an ad I'd placed and sold the other two bookcases over the phone. He then disassembled them and drove them to the purchaser's home, moved her bookcases out of the way and reassembled the metal ones in her home. It was a long day but he worked efficiently and cheerfully. I can't imagine using anyone else for my moving (and handyman and furniture assembly) needs.”
I would recommend him to anyone and will absolutely use him again for any other jobs I need done.
From start to end, its been a very easy & pleasant process.
I'm an interior designer, and I've work with several contractors prior to this and its been nothing but disappointing and infuriating process. But the work
- Demo was done fast and easy. The garbage removal happened exactly on the days he promised. No mess anywhere around the home.
- He helped me get in contact with his suppliers for hardwood flooring, kitchen cabinets and I got SUPERB quality materials for a great price. Things were done in a timely manner, exactly the way we discussed and he promised.
- They leveled the ceiling and the floors perfectly and very meticulously. Then sound proofed the ceiling with a special sheet rock and sound proof foam insulation. It was done so perfectly, the noise level on the floor decreased by at least 70%.
- Pluming in the kitchen was completely redone.
- Electrical wiring was completely redone also, and installed several light fixtures.
- Hardwood floors were installed ( with a sound proof liner ) and sanded, stained, buffed and poly. Turned out beautiful, clean and flawless.
- Tile floors were installed in the foyer and the entrance. Sturdy and clean.
- We have an extension that was used as a laundry room. They completely insulated the space, new walls, new door, new lighting and flooring.
Everything was done perfectly, exactly the way I wanted. From pluming, electric to little details like painting, I am 100% happy with the results.
I highly recommend
Handyman Services in New York
South Ozone Park
Garden City South
Port Jefferson Station
Croton On Hudson
Long Island City
Shop Local Handyman Services in New York
- PlumbersSTANLEY LEWIS PLUMBING & HEATINGMember Price$179 $189VIEW
- Window InstallersAmerican Jewel Window SystemsMember Price$2125 $3025VIEW
Join Angie's List to get the best local reviews in New York.
- Instant access to reviews for 700+ services
- Exclusive service discounts - up to 70 percent off!
- Top-notch support from our live call center