Access to trusted reviews, the best Remodeling Contractors and exclusive discounts!
Real Member ReviewsMemberships allow Angie’s List to certify that all reviews are real reviews from real members—no fake, bogus, or anonymous reviews here!
DealsAngie’s List is a Community that you’ll use time after time. Research who to hire, learn tips and tricks, and consult with your neighbors
Instant Community AccessMembers can choose from tons of deals and discounts for projects they need to do, like 30% off exterior home painting!
Complaint ResolutionIf a project goes badly, Angie’s List has a complaint resolution team standing by to help you.
Indianapolis Home Remodeling Articles
Home Remodeling reviews in Indianapolis
We did not use from the 5 quotes we received,
We would not hesitate to work with
They were recommended to me by my realtor. They did a good job on a house I was flipping: replaced carpet and screen on a screened porch, and installed new storm doors. At this point i was hopeful, and thought I had finally found a contractor I could rely on to do small jobs.
Then I asked them to fix a problem with a leak in a bathroom in a rental property I own. They completely forgot the first appointment, then eventually made it to the job site and fixed the problem, and to their credit did not charge me.
The final job was to replace a single storm door at my primary residence. They came over and measured, finding that it was a non-standard size (because it is an old house), and after that things went downhill. I had to text them multiple times, I got responses sometimes but not others, they did not follow up on a couple of promised dates for the install, and eventually I just gave up.
I have a lot of work I could potentially send their way, but I am no longer interested in working with them - they do a great job when they bother to show up, but they are far too unreliable, and I just don't need the time-wasting in my life.
One of the companies we called was NuSash of Indianapolis after picking up a flyer at the Indianapolis Flower and Patio Show. We called the office on April 24. They sent out and
The contract called for us to pay $6,800 up front and
* Construct a deck and screen room
* Bury an existing electrical line from our home to the garage,
* Construct a concrete sidewalk with brush-finish from the screen room to the garage,
* Add gutters and downspouts to our garage,
* Replace a piece of panel siding on the garage.
When it came time to make the downpayment,
I was suspicious of this and my suspicion grew when my bank called in a few hours as
I never noticed any markings from Call Before You Dig in my yard, but
During construction, I asked
I spoke with
* I expressed concern about the pitch of the roof and he told me it was exactly what we needed: 3/12 pitch. Upon measurement
later, the actual pitch is 0.5/12, basically a flat roof.
*I expressed concern about water leaking through the roof and he said it wouldn’t. Actually, the roof leaked in multiple places. I later
realized it was due to the pitch of the roof, the shingles used and the distance of the trusses (one was nearly four feet wide!). They also didn't use flashing. Instead, they used silver tape that is often used for windows.
* I asked if the ceiling fan was appropriate for a porch and he told me it was. However, the fan blades were immediately damaged to due to the roof leaking and water getting on the blades. The fan was an indoor fan and not damp-rated.
* He told me that the existing siding on the back of my home was not painted, but primed white and he would get white siding for the screen room siding to match. I factored this into my painting budget. However did not get white siding. He got grey and said it was higher quality. It turns out my existing siding IS painted white and the grey is the standard siding.
*I expressed concern about the concrete path and the fact there are no expansion joints. Also, it’s not a brushed finish sidewalk. It's a sub-standard concrete job with a very rough exposed aggregate "finish". It's not appropriately level, it dips onboth sides in different places and will crack at the first freeze of winter. He purchased the cheapest bags of mix you can find. As anyone who has worked with concrete knows, the sidewalk needs joints for the concrete to expand and contract. Concrete contractors that I have bid to fix the walk say the concrete used is not suitable for an entire walkway.
* I expressed concern about the lack of a trim around the windows. What was done was screwing in untreated plywood over some screens. It looks like a toddler built it. His crew did not leave room for actual siding.
* I expressed concern about some deck boards that were already chipping and cracking. There were small holes too - one was about the size of a quarter - in a couple of the brand new deck boards. Even though lumber is imperfect, I felt this was unacceptable.
* I also expressed concern about the steps up to the deck and porch and that they were too high.
* The patio doors did not close properly and there was no room to caulk around the doors.
I felt bad for the workers and I decided to write
On Tuesday, May 27, I put a “stop payment” on the check because: A) it was for the incorrect amount and B) the work was not properly completed.
When he arrived, he did not have the permits and he presented me only one page of the contract, the page with my signature that does not have any of the parameters of the contract such as licensing, who the agreement is between, etc. Also, he had blacked out a line on the contract. I’m pretty sure this said NuSash and I do not recall a thick, black marker line on the contract upon original signing. Also, below
Earlier that day, I contacted NuSash and spoke with the owner
At this same meeting,
The next day, I again offered to meet
We departed again.
I decided to call a licensed home inspector to look at the screen room and other work. The inspector found several code violations and bad construction practices. I offered for
I agreed to pay
I have since had a licensed contractor and electrician look into the room. The electrician will take care of the line burial and electrical code violations (incorrect fan type, no GFCI on electrical outlet, no cover for outlet, outlet on same circuit as fan and lighiting). I had
another contractor look into fixing the room, but he believed it was beyond repair. I have used this contractor many times for other work. He and his crew tore down the screen room and build a code-approved, sturdy room that does not leak and looks beautiful.
Also, I called 811 and there is no record of them coming to my house nor a request for my address by anybody.
We think we're the best, and we can prove it.
Try an annual plan and if you want to cancel in your first year, we'll refund you 110%
Annual Plans Only
All Remodeling Contractors in Indianapolis, IN
Shop Local Home Remodeling Services in Indianapolis
- Unique Furniture MakersHomemade DesignMember Price$995 $2045VIEW
- Unique Furniture MakersHomemade DesignMember Price$239 $349VIEW
Join Angie's List to get the best local reviews in Indianapolis.
- Instant access to reviews for 700+ services
- Exclusive service discounts - up to 70 percent off!
- Top-notch support from our live call center