Access to trusted reviews, the best Home Security Companies and exclusive discounts!
- Memberships allow Angie’s List to certify that all reviews are real reviews from real members—no fake, bogus, or anonymous reviews here!
- Angie’s List is a Community that you’ll use time after time. Research who to hire, learn tips and tricks, and consult with your neighbors
- Members can choose from tons of deals and discounts for projects they need to do, like 30% off exterior home painting!
- If a project goes badly, Angie’s List has a complaint resolution team standing by to help you.
Chicago Home Security System Articles
Angie's List In The Press
Chicago Home Security Companies Reviews
We really appreciated both
companies to get a quote for service, and their robocaller has continued
to call my house several times a day every day since. I refuse to do
business with any company whose business model depends on harassing me
while I make up my mind. I strongly urge everyone to avoid this company
like the plague.
There was a slight problem with the scheduling of the work. I had the work scheduled for the day of our closing day on our house AND moving day at 8:30 in the morning. The sales rep said the installer would be there between 8:30 and 9:30am. 9:30am rolled around, and there was no person here yet! I called APS and they said there was a conflict and my installation wouldn't happen until the afternoon. They told me this as if it were no big deal, yet I had my whole day planned out, taking work off in the morning, to get the install done. I was really upset that they just bumped me without even letting me know! I called both the installer and the sales rep and let them know I was upset because of the inconvenience. They had a different installer out there by 10am.
I shouldn't have had to complain like this, but once the installer got there everything went smoothly. The installation was good and things looked good. After reading technical information on the 2GIG forums, I do have some concerns about my installation:
- Both the the 2GIG-TS1 touch screen control panel and the 2GIG-TAKE345 wireless sensor module he installed in our garage are both only rated operable down to 32 degrees Fahrenheit. I am concerned one or both modules might fail as it gets colder. I don't know why they would install this type of setup in a garage in chicago where temperatures are most certain to fall below freezing. Today is the first day that it is below freezing, so we will see what happens.
- The 2GIG installation manual recommends to not installing the CP2 Go Control panel near an entry/exit so that burglars would not have easy access to the main panel right after they break in. However, my installed did just that. I am not too concerned about this because 2GIG does offer "crash and smash" protection (so that if the burglar rips the panel off the wall right after breaking in, it will still notify the central station).
These two things aren't huge deals, but It just concerns me that APS either did not read the manuals, did not train their installers properly, or they just failed to follow the manufacturer's recommended practices.
One thing you should be aware of with
So far I have been really happy with the service. I don't know if this is APS or Chicago Police or both, but my daughter hit the panic button by mistake, and no joke, with 5 minutes of pressing the button the police were knocking at my door.
I don't meant to dis the other firm too badly. I think that they simply did not know door buzzers as intimately as someone who specializes in them. Lesson learned - always try a specialist over a generalist. That specific knowledge can save a lot of time and trouble - and in my case, a TON of money!
All Home Security Companies in Chicago, IL
Downers Grove, IL
Downers Grove, IL
West Chicago, IL