Tips to help plan the perfect party
Submitted by Donna Morris, owner of Xtra Pair of Hands DC
When planning a party, make a list of things to do and add to it every day. Start as far in advance as possible. Here are some ideas to help get you started.
- Throw a theme party. People love themes. Some ideas include a Halloween party, bring an international dish, wear your favorite sports shirt or a wine tasting.
- When purchasing paper products, remember guests take new plates, napkins and utensils every time they get food or drink.
- When stocking a mixed drink bar, don’t forget vodka, gin, bourbon and whiskey.
- Buy your own wine glasses. They can be purchased inexpensively.
- Clean out your coat closet prior to the event so you have room to hang coats and bags.
- Light candles in your restrooms for ambiance.
- It’s all about the visual, so buy garnishes for your food platters for presentation.
- Get creative with your centerpiece. You can use black jelly beans in a glass vase or fill several glass vases with water and add a live goldfish or stones.
- If your table looks empty, set out the desserts.
- Buy medium and large zipper storage bags for leftovers. If you have a lot of food left over, give out doggie bags when guests leave.
- Send a “Save the date” email three months in advance for popular holiday parties. Guests may have multiple engagements, and there are only so many weekends in a month.
Xtra Pair of Hands DC is an event services and staffing company in the Washington, D.C. area that has staffed hundreds of events since 2001. Services can be tailored to an event with hundreds of guests or a small dinner party for six.
As of June 30, 2011, this service provider was highly rated on Angie’s List. Ratings are subject to change based on consumer feedback, so check AngiesList.com for the most up-to-date reviews. The views expressed by this author do not necessarily reflect those of Angie’s List.