7 tips for getting a second opinion
- Be honest. Tell your first dentist you're planning on obtaining a second opinion. As a patient, it's your right to know your options and the office should respect your wishes.
- Check with your insurance to see how they handle second opinions. Some carriers may cover the cost.
- Look for a highly rated dentist or specialist on Angie's List.
- Make sure the second dentist is licensed by checking their credentials with your state's dentistry board.
- Ask the second dentist how they charge for second opinions.
- Request a copy of your X-rays, any treatment plans and the related costs from the first dentist to take to your second opinion appointment.
- If asking for your X-rays and records makes you feel uncomfortable, ask the second opinion dentist to request the files for you when you make an appointment.