5 facts about obesity
It’s no secret that many Americans — more than 72 million — are obese and suffer from health complications because of it. Here are some staggering stats and facts about obesity in America.
- 32 – States in the U.S. have obesity rates of more than 25 percent.
- 1,440 – The number of minutes in a day. Set aside at least 30 of them each day for physical activity.
- $117 billion – The estimated medical cost of obesity in the U.S.
- 5 to 10% – The amount of excess body weight you need to lose to decrease risk factors for Type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
- 3,500 – Number of calories you have to burn to lose one pound of fat.