Warning signs of mental illness
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, tens of millions of Americans suffer from the effects of mental illnesses or disorders, but many go untreated. One common reason for this lack of treatment is missing the signs of mental illness.
Mental illness or disorders can present a number or range of varying symptoms, including:
• Abuse of drugs or alcohol
• Delusions or hallucinations
• Long-lasting, continuous feelings of depression, sadness or irritability
• Mood swings that include feelings of extreme highs or lows
• Unreasonable and excessive fears, worries and anxieties
• Withdrawing from social activities
• Sudden or dramatic changes in diet or sleep patterns
• Being or becoming unable to cope with daily problems and activities
• Recurring thoughts of suicide or self-harm
If you or a loved one present some of the behaviors or symptoms listed above, it may indicate a mental illness. A consultation with a mental health professional, such as an Indianapolis psychiatrist, can be your first step towards improved mental health.