Top 5 question to ask a primary care provider
Dr. Michael J. Berard, a highly rated internist in College Park, Md., says a primary care provider is usually your first contact for medical care — so it’s important to find a good fit.
“They’re a filter for information and even an advocate,” Berard says. “They should not only be knowledgeable, but also a good listener.”
Berard recommends you ask these important questions to find a compatible caregiver:
- What insurance plans do you accept?
- What are your office hours and how do I reach you in an emergency?
- Is there a way to get simple questions answered without an office visit?
- Do you predominantly prescribe generic drugs or use non-traditional therapies, and why or why not?
- Are vaccines, labs and simple diagnostic tests done in the office?