How to find the best local contractors
Hiring a contractor shouldn't be a snap decision. Angie's List encourages you to keep a clear head and consider the following:
- Avoid door-to-door solicitors and those who only accept cash payments, offer discounts for finding customers or pressure you to make a quick decision.
- Verify the business is licensed to operate in your area.
- Ask the contractor you want to hire for several references from happy customers who’ve had worked completed — and check them. Visit the job sites if possible.
- Never sign a contract containing blank spaces.
If you run into problems:
- Let the contractor know you’re unhappy. Ask him or her to take specific action to remedy the situation.
- Follow up with a letter. Keep records of all written correspondence as well as receipts, canceled checks and credit card statements. If a business requests documents, send a copy, never an original. Keep a log of all conversations, including the date and time of the call, what was said and who you spoke with.
- Report suspected unethical or illegal behavior to the proper authorities.
- More tips on How to Complain Effectively