Historic Columbus car dealership becomes architectural firm's headquarter

Karlsberger Building
99 E. Main St.

Sometimes an obsolete business space receives a dramatic new life, and this 1918 car dealership was just that lucky. Linked by a car ramp, the second story originally served as a Ford showroom, and the first story as the mechanics' garage. Fuel tanks were located underground.

In 1985, Karlsberger Companies, a prominent architectural firm, chose to renovate this building for use as its corporate headquarters. They preserved the original upper-story facade, along with its terra cotta Ford logo, and added 10,000 square feet alongside the building's original 20,000 square feet. The car ramp was converted to a staircase, but the fuel tanks still exist.

- Shirley Hyatt

If you have photos or stories of historic homes - still standing or not - call us or send an e-mail to mailbag@angieslist.com.


Add comment

Deals
Anonymous reviews are Internet graffiti.  Angie's List has real reviews from real people.

What is Angie's List?

Angie’s List is the trusted site where more than 2 million households go to get ratings and reviews on everything from home repair to health care. Stop guessing when it comes to hiring! Check Angie’s List to find out who does the best work in town.

Local Discounts

Daily deals up to 70% off popular home improvement projects from top-rated contractors on Angie’s List!