Bone breakdown: 5 facts about your skeleton
The human skeleton is an intricate puzzle constructed to keep our bodies upright and our organs protected. Be sure to keep your foundation healthy and strong while you bone up on these five facts:
- A baby is born with 270 bones
- By age 25, your bones have stopped fusing together, making the total count come in at 206.
- 0.1 to .13 inches – Average length of the stirrup bone behind the human eardrum. It's the smallest in the human body.
- 6 weeks – Time it typically takes a bone fracture to heal.
- 50% of women age 50 years or older will suffer an osteoporosis-related fracture in their lifetime.