6 facts about feet
Dr. Kathleen Stone, president of the American Podiatric Medical Association, says it’s important to take the time to care for your feet. “They’re your foundation,” she says. “When they hurt, you hurt all over.”
In honor of National Foot Health Awareness Month, put up your tootsies and relax:
- 75% of all Americans will experience foot problems in their lifetime.
- 50 states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico require podiatrists to be licensed.
- There are 26 bones in each foot. The bones in your feet make up a quarter of all the bones in your body.
- The average person walks about 115,000 miles in a lifetime - enough to trek around the globe more than four times.
- Approximately 15,000 podiatrists currently practice in the U.S.
- There are 250,000 sweat glands in a pair of feet. These glands can excrete as much as a half pint of moisture each day.