5 things to consider when building a deck
If you’re in the market for a new deck, consider yourself lucky. The options for quality deck materials have multiplied in recent years, giving homeowners a wide range of features from which to choose.
The most recent newcomers to the market include variations of decking made of recycled plastic, composite lumber and hardwood imports.
When selecting decking material, there are several important factors to consider when deciding which one is the most appropriate for your home:
- Appearance: There are many colors, textures and installation designs available.
- Maintenance: Products range from high maintenance to extremely low maintenance.
- Climate: Products more resistant to warping and rotting are ideal for extreme temperatures.
- Price: The product, scope of design and installation can significantly impact your overall budget.
- Neighborhood regulations: Some neighborhood associations may dictate what types of decks you’re allowed to install.
A qualified contractor can help you determine which decking material and design is best for your home and your budget.