5 reasons to hire a Chicago contractor
General contractors are construction management professionals who oversee the various details of building projects like design, construction methods, budgeting, materials, time lines and the hiring of additional workers and subcontractors.
A good general contractor is well versed in local standards and guidelines, as well as Environmental Protection Agency and Occupational Safety and Health Administration requirements.
In Chicago, a contractor must hold a home repair license issued by the City of Chicago’s Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection for any project that involves altering a structure that is used as a primary residence. A general contractor’s license issued by Chicago's Department of Buildings is required if subcontractors or building permits will be needed.
5 reasons to hire a general contractor:
- The project involves several facets of construction such as plumbing, electrical, and carpentry.
- The project involves understanding local and state codes and standards.
- The project requires government permits.
- The project requires installing a septic tank or connecting to the public water supply.
- The project will require managing multiple subcontractors.
Visit Angie’s List for consumer reviews on highly rated contractors in the Chicago area.