5 questions to ask your dentist about dentures
Photos © iStockphoto.com
About 178 million Americans have lost at least one tooth to decay, injury, disease or wear, according to the American College of Prosthodontics. Partial and complete dentures can help those suffering the effects of tooth loss. "It can be a great overall health benefit because there's a strong connection between oral infections and heart disease and strokes," says Dr. Mark Fixari of the highly rated Fixari Family Dental in Columbus, Ohio. If you're considering dentures, ask your dentist these questions:
1. Does your practice specialize in or frequently work with patients who need dentures?
2. Will I be able to keep some of my teeth or should I consider a full set of dentures?
3. What will be the total cost of the procedures and prosthesis, and will follow-up visits for adjustments be included?
4. How should I care for my dentures in order to avoid infection and prolong their life?
5. What can I expect from my dentures in terms of stability - ease of chewing and talking - and appearance?