10 home renovation tips to consider before your project begins
Submitted by Paul Broadbent of Broadbent Construction
Taking the time to walk through these important tips will help your home renovation project be a success.
- Define the purpose for your home renovation. Some reasons may include increasing your home’s value, improving energy efficiency or meeting the needs of a growing family.
- Create a realistic budget. Determine what you want to spend and what your financial limit will be.
- Find a reputable licensed, bonded and insured contractor who specializes in home renovations.
- Make sure you ask for references. Talk to past customers who have completed similar projects.
- Remember the lowest bid is not always the best bid.
- Choose a time period that works and is the least disruptive for you and your family.
- Enjoy dreaming and planning your project. Use the Internet, library and ask your contractor to help direct you to other resources available.
- Consider your environmental impact. There are many wonderful materials and equipment that can save money and benefit the health of your family.
- Get it in writing. It is important you have a signed contract before your project begins. This will eliminate any surprises during your home renovation project.
- Talk to a Realtor or designer about relevant and innovative features for your area.
Broadbent Construction has performed home renovations in the Fairfield County, Conn., area for more than 25 years.
As of June 15, 2011, this service provider was highly rated on Angie’s List. Ratings are subject to change based on consumer feedback, so check AngiesList.com for the most up-to-date reviews. The views expressed by this author do not necessarily reflect those of Angie’s List.